India`s envoy to Italy to take up posting by month
New Delhi: India`s Ambassador-designate to Italy Basant Kumar Gupta, whose posting was held-up over Italian marines issue, will be travelling to Rome take up his position by the end of this month.
"Basant Gupta was to travel from India to Rome on March 15. However, there were some circumstances whereby it was decided to place this on hold. We were undertaking a study and part of that was also an issue of his movement. Since the circumstances that precluded his move then have now passed us and we have moved forward in that context.
"If all things go as expected, the officer will start completing his administrative and personal requirements. During the course of this month, perhaps towards later part of this month or end of this month, we hope he will be able to move from Delhi to assume his new responsibilities in Rome," official spokesperson in Ministry of External Affairs Syed Akbaruddin said.
Gupta was named successor to Debabrata Saha who retired in December last. His posting was held up after India decided to downgrade the diplomatic ties in view of initial refusal by Italy to send back the two marines facing charges of killing two Kerala fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday