`India`s Food Bill can set example for rest of world`
New Delhi: India`s proposed National Food Security Bill has the potential to become a benchmark for the rest of the world to follow, the NGO Oxfam India and UK-based Institute of Development Studies (IDS) has said.
The proposed Food Security Bill aims at providing legal entitlement over subsidised foodgrains to the poor. The bill was introduced in Parliament in December 2011 and the same has been referred to the Standing Committee.
"India is taking the largest step toward food justice the world has ever seen through National Food Security Bill (NFSB) Although the bill alone won`t fix India`s food system, the world will be watching to see if it can provide a template for other countries to follow," IDS Director Lawrence Haddad said at the launch of the new IDS bulletin.
The step is largest because the bill covers about 70 per cent of Indian households, highest proportion of households covered by such programme anywhere in the world, he said.
Haddad said the NFSB and other legal and judicial mechanisms will strengthen food security outcomes in India, though gains need to be maintained.
"There are plenty of stresses and strains that can erode gains. Food price rise, food price volatility and climate changes are the ones that need to be addressed," he noted.
Oxfam India CEO Nisha Agrawal said there is a need to form new alliances to ensure food security to the poor and marginalised in India.
"Despite enormous growth in economic and political power, 46 per cent of Indian children are malnourished. One in three of the world`s hungry live in India," the Oxfam India said.
The new IDS bulletin, brought out jointly with Oxfam India, sheds light on various issues facing food security in India by bringing together views of 21 thinkers including renowned agriculture scientists M S Swaminathan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?