India`s graft woes, Tendulkar`s 100 tons top stories of 2012
New York: India`s corruption woes, the Wisconsin Gurudwara shooting and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar`s 100 centuries are among the top stories of 2012, according to a list compiled by Time magazine which chronicles the "highs and lows, the good and the bad" of the past year.
As the year draws to a close, Time condensed the "Top 10 Everything of 2012" in 55 wide-ranging lists on topics such arts and entertainment, pop culture, social media, science and space, sports, politics, business, technology and health.
India`s corruption woes make it to the top 10 international news of 2012, which Time said has "not been a banner year for governance in the world’s largest democracy."
Among the crime stories that made headlines in 2012 is the tragic Wisconsin gurudwara shooting, in which six Sikh persons were killed when white supremacist Wade Michael Page went on a shooting spree just as members of the community were preparing for Sunday prayers on the morning of August 5.
"The Sikh community, rather than shutting their temple down decided to clean and repair the building and continue worshipping there.
"Wade Michael Page may have staged his attack to shine a spotlight on himself and his racist ideology but, in spite of the carnage, the incident became an example of how ordinary heroism could shine in the face of a sudden onslaught of evil," Time said.
In the top 10 sports moments of the part year is Tendulkar`s triumphant 100 centuries.
"Cricket`s greatest-ever batsman added yet another incredible achievement to his already endless list of accomplishments by becoming the first player in history to score 100 scores of 100 or more runs for his country," Time said.
The 39-year-old master-blaster, in an earlier interview to Time, said he was in no hurry to retire and that he is enjoying the game, and thinks he has more to contribute.
"I don`t plan too far ahead, I’ve never done that," he told TIME in the summer.
"I believe in approaching my targets step by step, and don`t look at the larger picture."
The Time lists include other news-worthy events like US President Barack Obama`s re-election, Curiosity rover`s landing on Mars, the scandal involving top CIA director David Petraeus and cyclist Lance Armstrong fall from grace in the wake of charges that the seven-time Tour de France winner used performance-enhancing drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant