India`s graft woes, Tendulkar`s 100 tons top stories of 2012
New York: India`s corruption woes, the Wisconsin Gurudwara shooting and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar`s 100 centuries are among the top stories of 2012, according to a list compiled by Time magazine which chronicles the "highs and lows, the good and the bad" of the past year.
As the year draws to a close, Time condensed the "Top 10 Everything of 2012" in 55 wide-ranging lists on topics such arts and entertainment, pop culture, social media, science and space, sports, politics, business, technology and health.
India`s corruption woes make it to the top 10 international news of 2012, which Time said has "not been a banner year for governance in the world’s largest democracy."
Among the crime stories that made headlines in 2012 is the tragic Wisconsin gurudwara shooting, in which six Sikh persons were killed when white supremacist Wade Michael Page went on a shooting spree just as members of the community were preparing for Sunday prayers on the morning of August 5.
"The Sikh community, rather than shutting their temple down decided to clean and repair the building and continue worshipping there.
"Wade Michael Page may have staged his attack to shine a spotlight on himself and his racist ideology but, in spite of the carnage, the incident became an example of how ordinary heroism could shine in the face of a sudden onslaught of evil," Time said.
In the top 10 sports moments of the part year is Tendulkar`s triumphant 100 centuries.
"Cricket`s greatest-ever batsman added yet another incredible achievement to his already endless list of accomplishments by becoming the first player in history to score 100 scores of 100 or more runs for his country," Time said.
The 39-year-old master-blaster, in an earlier interview to Time, said he was in no hurry to retire and that he is enjoying the game, and thinks he has more to contribute.
"I don`t plan too far ahead, I’ve never done that," he told TIME in the summer.
"I believe in approaching my targets step by step, and don`t look at the larger picture."
The Time lists include other news-worthy events like US President Barack Obama`s re-election, Curiosity rover`s landing on Mars, the scandal involving top CIA director David Petraeus and cyclist Lance Armstrong fall from grace in the wake of charges that the seven-time Tour de France winner used performance-enhancing drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'