India`s new frigate INS Teg inducted in Navy
New Delhi: To give a boost to its naval warfare capability, India on Friday inducted a new warship into its fleet, INS Teg, built in Russia.
INS Teg is the first of three guided missile frigates of the modified INS Talwar-class that India commissioned Russian shipyard Yantar to build.
INS Teg will be followed by induction of INS Tarkash and INS Trikand in the next one year or so.
Russia had taken out INS Teg for sea trials earlier this year in the Baltic Sea and completed the tests between March 5 and April 7 this year.
The Yantar shipyard had said earlier this month that all on-board systems on INS Teg including armaments were tested in the presence of Indian Navy officers and the frigate proved to be fully ready for final stage of acceptance trials.
Talwar, Trishul and Tabar are the three first modified Krivak-III class frigates that India ordered from Russia and these three ships have been doing service, having made a mark during the anti-piracy patrols in the Gulf of Aden and achieving "kills" of pirate mother ships.
India`s order for the Talwar-class ships was placed with Russia in 2006 for USD 1.6 billion.
INS Teg was laid down at Yantar in 2007. INS Tarkash and INS Trikand are at various stages of construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31