India`s own interceptor missile to be test-fired today
Balasore (Orissa): After being put off
on Sunday, the test-fire of India`s indigenously built Advanced
Air Defence (ADD) interceptor missile, capable of destroying
hostile in-coming ballistic missiles, is likely to be held at
Integrated Test Range Island off the Orissa coast on Monday.
The trial to be held at the Wheeler Island was
postponed due to some technical snag in the sub-system,
official sources said.
After sorting out the problem and thorough examination of
all systems, it was decided to make the test today as part
of efforts to develop a full fledged multi-layer Ballistic
Missile Defence System, defence sources said.
As planned earlier, the test-fire is proposed to be
carried out from two different launch sites of ITR, they said.
The target missile, a modified indigenously built Prithvi,
would first lift off from a mobile launcher from the ITR`s
launch complex at Chandipur-on-sea, 15 km from here.
Minutes later the interceptor missile would blast off
from the Wheeler`s Island, about 70 km across the sea from
Chandipur, to intercept it at an altitude of 15 to 20 km in
mid-air over the waters.
Yet to get a formal name, the new hypersonic interceptor
missile is only called `AAD` and is meant to be used in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video