India`s quest for peace not its weakness: Antony
Dehradun: India`s quest for peace should not be mistaken for its weakness, Defence Minister A K Antony said here on Saturday.
"We are a peace-loving nation but our quest for peace should not be mistaken for our weakness," he said.
The Defence Minister was speaking at the Passing Out Parade of the Indian Military Academy here, which saw a total of 688 cadets passing out of the prestigious institution to join the ranks of the militaries of their respective countries.
"History is witness to the fact that whenever there has been trouble along its borders, Indian soldiers renowned for their ability to deliver in times of crisis have shown exemplary valour to ensure the safety of the country," he said.
He said the country can never forget the valour displayed by the armed forces in the massive evacuation exercise carried out in wake of the natural calamity that struck Uttarakhand in June this year.
Asking the cadets to draw lessons from the sacrifices made by members of the armed forces during the rescue operations in Uttarakhand, the minister said they should be proud of the high standards of training received at the academy and should dedicate their lives to the service of the nation.
"Remember that the uniform you wear is not just a uniform, but a way of life in which safety and welfare of the nation comes first," he said and asked the cadets to be ready to deal with both conventional and unconventional challenges which they might face during their careers.
A total of 688 cadets, including 71 from friendly countries like Nepal, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Maldives, today passed out of the esteemed institution to join the ranks of their respective armies.
The highest number of 61 cadets are from Uttar Pradesh, followed by Haryana with 47 and Uttarakhand with 34.
Antony later honoured the distinguished cadets, giving away the coveted Sword of Honour to Academy Under Officer Akshat Joshi and the gold medal to Battalion Under Officer Kamlesh Mani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal