India`s support to UN peacekeeping ops come in for praise
New Delhi: India`s continuous support to UN
peacekeeping operations across the globe has come in for high
praise from the world body which said its peace efforts would
not have been advanced that far without Indian contribution.
UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations,
Alain Le Roy, who will be here next week on a three-day visit,
said the world body wants to make every effort to further
strengthen partnership with India.
"UN peacekeeping could not have advanced as far as it has
without India, which has a long and outstanding tradition of
supporting peace operations," Le Roy said in a statement ahead
of his October 13-15 visit.
With 8,767 Indian military and police deployed in nine
peacekeeping missions throughout the world, in places like
Congo, Sudan and Lebanon, India has consistently been one of
the top contributors to peacekeeping.
"UN peacekeeping is a truly shared responsibility and we
want to make every effort to further strengthen our
partnership with India," he said.
The main purpose of Le Roy`s visit is to express
appreciation for India`s outstanding contribution to UN
Peacekeeping, a UN official said here.
Terming India as a model in peacekeeping efforts, the UN
official said the United Nations is "deeply thankful" to the
One hundred and twenty Indian peacekeepers have made the
ultimate sacrifice under the blue flag.
"In many ways, India has been a model in peacekeeping, not
only contributing a large number of troops but also addressing
key issues such as the participation of women or the
contribution of tactical aviation units. We are deeply
thankful and look forward to our continued collaboration," he
Roy will also engage in an open discussion regarding
current and future challenges of peacekeeping.
"We know that the growing gap between the demand for
peacekeepers and the available supply complicates the
contributor`s task and increases the burden, but we are
committed to seeking practical solutions to this rising
challenge," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what