India`s support to UN peacekeeping ops come in for praise
New Delhi: India`s continuous support to UN
peacekeeping operations across the globe has come in for high
praise from the world body which said its peace efforts would
not have been advanced that far without Indian contribution.
UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations,
Alain Le Roy, who will be here next week on a three-day visit,
said the world body wants to make every effort to further
strengthen partnership with India.
"UN peacekeeping could not have advanced as far as it has
without India, which has a long and outstanding tradition of
supporting peace operations," Le Roy said in a statement ahead
of his October 13-15 visit.
With 8,767 Indian military and police deployed in nine
peacekeeping missions throughout the world, in places like
Congo, Sudan and Lebanon, India has consistently been one of
the top contributors to peacekeeping.
"UN peacekeeping is a truly shared responsibility and we
want to make every effort to further strengthen our
partnership with India," he said.
The main purpose of Le Roy`s visit is to express
appreciation for India`s outstanding contribution to UN
Peacekeeping, a UN official said here.
Terming India as a model in peacekeeping efforts, the UN
official said the United Nations is "deeply thankful" to the
One hundred and twenty Indian peacekeepers have made the
ultimate sacrifice under the blue flag.
"In many ways, India has been a model in peacekeeping, not
only contributing a large number of troops but also addressing
key issues such as the participation of women or the
contribution of tactical aviation units. We are deeply
thankful and look forward to our continued collaboration," he
Roy will also engage in an open discussion regarding
current and future challenges of peacekeeping.
"We know that the growing gap between the demand for
peacekeepers and the available supply complicates the
contributor`s task and increases the burden, but we are
committed to seeking practical solutions to this rising
challenge," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'