India`s ties with Tajikistan ‘excellent’: Krishna
Dushanbe: External Affairs Minister SM Krishna on Monday described India`s relationship with Tajikistan as "excellent" after meeting his Tajik counterpart Hamrokhon Zarifi here during which the two leaders discussed bilateral issues like trade, energy and counter-terrorism besides situation in the region.
Krishna, who arrived here on a special flight for a two-day visit, was received by Tajikistan Deputy Foreign Minister Nizomiddin Zohidov at the Dushanbe International airport here.
His visit to Dushanbe, first by any Indian External Affairs Minister in nine years, is part of India`s `Connect Central Asia Policy` to tap the natural resources-rich region.
The External Affairs Minister met his Tajik counterpart for 40-minutes during which they discussed cooperation in energy sector, economy and counter-terrorism besides other issues of mutual interest and on the situation in the region especially Afghanistan, officials said.
Talking to reporters after the meeting, Krishna described the relationship between the two countries as "excellent".
"India and Tajikistan have an excellent relationship, a very cordial one. This year we will be completing 20 years of diplomatic relations with the Tajikistan," he told reporters alongside his Tajik counterpart Zarifi.
"We discussed bilateral issues and regional development and we also discussed the world`s financial situation which is deteriorating every day and the possible impact it has on other countries. This is of great interest to both of our countries," Krishna said.
He said India is looking forward to the visit of Tajikistan President Emomali Rahmon in September, adding that this will cement already excellent bilateral ties. Krishna will meet Rahmon on Tuesday.
"There was a long discussion about Afghanistan. They agreed that without a stable Afghanistan, the region cannot be stable," officials said, adding that the minister also briefed Zarifi about recent Afghan Investment Summit held in New Delhi.
They said the two leaders discussed several issues from economy to trade and investment in hydropower sector.
Tajikistan is rich in natural resources like hydropower which are estimated at the level of 527 billion kWt-h, but only 3 per cent of this potential is being used.
India plans to build strong political relations with Central Asian countries through the exchange of high level visits and strengthen strategic and security cooperation including counter-terror cooperation with them. Krishna`s visit is just a step in that direction, officials said.
The minister`s tour also assumes significance as the strategically located Tajikistan shares borders with Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and China. Also, a narrow strip of land separates it from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
The ties between India and Tajikistan deepened in the late 1990s, when they came closer following rise of Taliban in Afghanistan. The ties have grown stronger since 2002, especially on counter-terrorism and defence co-operation.
The two countries have a Joint Working Group on Counter-Terrorism in place. Tajikistan, which shares over 1,400 km border with Afghanistan, faces threat from Taliban-linked terror groups like Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.
India is also in talks with Tajikistan to set up a military hospital even as it maintains an airbase in Ayni there, the country`s only such facility overseas.
However, despite close ties on counter-terrorism, the trade between two countries has been meagre and was valued at USD 22.11 million in 2007-08.
India also plans to operate direct flights between New Delhi and the Tajik capital, beginning this month.
"India plans to operate up to 14 flights to Dushanbe and on its part Tajikistan will launch four flights. Initially India will start with four flights," officials said.
During his stay in Dushanbe, Krishna will also address a Regional Conference of Indian Ambassadors in the Eurasian Region and this includes Indian envoys to Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
This is the Sixth Regional Meeting of Heads of Mission that the External Affairs Minister is addressing. In recent months, Krishna has held such meetings of the Indian envoys on a regional basis in Singapore, Cairo, Abu Dhabi, Madrid and Havana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception