India’s ‘Wanted Terrorist’ roaming free in UK
London: Notorious Surat bomber Tiger Hanif who is wanted in India after a double bombing that killed an eight-year-old schoolgirl and injured 38 in 1993, has been enjoying a life of impunity for the last fourteen years under the alias of Mohammed Patel.
Scotland Yard had traced him to Bolton, Lancashire, where he had been working as a greengrocer leading to his detention in February and subsequent remand in custody.
But a British High Court judge hearing his case has decided to grant conditional bail to the cold-blooded killer as he awaits extradition much to the consternation of the police.
Hanif will face up to 20 years in an Indian jail for his crimes, and has been on the Interpol’s ‘Most Wanted’ list with his photograph being circulated widely.
He is said to have altered his appearance to enter Britain using a fake identity under which he was initially refused asylum in the country but later granted a passport.
"The extradition might not happen," a newspaper quoted Hanif’s friend, as saying.
Hanif`s solicitor claims he could be tortured in India. He is due back in court in London next month.
In the 1993 attacks a bomb exploded near a school and a grenade was lobbed at a train. Police think they were to avenge the destruction of a mosque by Hindu extremists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic