Indigenous nuke submarine to be launched for trial soon: Verma
New Delhi: Indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant will be soon launched for sea trials as part of efforts towards completing India`s nuclear triad and achieve a credible and invulnerable retaliatory strike capability, the Navy said on Tuesday.
However, the conventional submarine force levels of the Navy were on decline for which the maritime service was looking at the option of manufacturing submarines in foreign shipyards.
"Arihant is steadily progressing towards its operationalisation and we hope to commence sea trials in the coming months. Given our unequivocal no-first-use commitment-- a retaliatory strike capability that is credible and invulnerable is an imperative.
"The Indian Navy is poised to complete the triad and our maritime and nuclear doctrines will then be aligned to ensure that our nuclear insurance comes from the sea," Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said at his farewell press conference.
He said commissioning of the nuclear attack submarine INS Chakra on January 23 launched India into a "select group of six nations" that operate SSNs.
The Russian-origin submarine "Chakra" has added "considerable punch to our maritime power and will aid in developing future concepts of naval operations in this very critical sphere," he said.
On the "declining" force level of Russian Kilo and German HDW diesel electric submarines, he said "it is a fact and that is why there is a proposal that we build two submarines at the collaborator`s shipyard and that case is being pursued with the Defence Ministry."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh