Indigenous terror group may be behind Pune attack: Stratfor
Washington: The German Bakery in Pune was
a terrorist target because it was frequented by foreigners and
the possibility of an indigenous terror group being involved
in the attack could not be ruled out, a leading US-based
strategic think-tank has said.
"No group has yet claimed responsibility for the Pune
attack, but indigenous Islamist groups certainly cannot be
ruled out," Stratfor said in its analysis of the Pune
terrorist attack on Saturday that killed nine people.
While no terrorist group has claimed responsibility
for the attack, it is similar to the type that occurred with
frequency before the commando-style Mumbai attack, and the
bakery may have been targeted because it was known to be
frequented by foreigners, the Stratfor said yesterday.
The bakery was also near many hotels that housed
visitors to Osho Ashram. Other sites known to attract foreign
visitors are also nearby, including a Jewish cultural center.
"The attack was the first significant bombing in India
since Mumbai, but it was a fairly simple operation and
involved only a single explosive device," the Stratfor said.
Stratfor said indigenous Islamic groups such as the
Indian Mujihadeen claimed responsibility for the attacks
leading up to Mumbai, for which the Pakistani-based Islamist
group Lashkar-e-Toiba is believed to be responsible.
"An attack like the one against the German Bakery in
Pune, involving fewer people and fewer targets, would require
less preparation time and communications and likely attract
less attention from Indian authorities, and thus have a far
higher chance of succeeding," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail