Indigenously developed missile launch on Sunday
Balasore (Orissa): To establish a reliable
ballistic missile shield, India will launch its indigenously
developed interceptor missile from the Orissa coast on Sunday.
"Range preparation for the interceptor missile test is
complete and it is likely to be taken up tomorrow from the
Integrated Test Range (ITR) complexes off Orissa coast,"
defence sources said on Saturday.
The advanced air defence (AAD) interceptor missile,
scheduled to be launched from Wheeler Island would destroy a
modified `Prithvi` surface-to-surface ballistic missile,
posing as a hostile one to be blasted from ITR launch
complex-3 at Chandipur.
"The interceptor would be a single stage supersonic
missile and try to hit the hostile ballistic missile in a
maneuverable trajectory stage within seconds," said a Defence
Research Development Organisation (DRDO) scientist.
The interceptor, has its own mobile launcher, secure
data link for interception, independent tracking and homing
capabilities as well as sophisticated radars.
The long-range tracking radars and multi-functional fire
control radars have already been positioned in different
places along the coast line, which ultimately would pass on
signals to the interceptor soon after the hostile missile is
launched and the interceptor, after analysing the target
missile`s maneuverable trajectories, would hit it at a
designated altitude over the Bay.
Of the total five earlier trials, DRDO has tested the
interceptor missile successfully four times since its first
test on November 27, 2006 both in exo-atmosphere (altitude of
50 to 80 km from earth`s surface) and endo-atmosphere
(altitude up to 30 km from earth`s surface) conditions.
However, on March 16, 2010 it could not take off from
its launcher as the target missile failed to come to the
interceptor`s killer zone. The last trial held on July 26,
2010 from Wheeler Island was a success.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened