Indigo flight grounded after bomb threat
New Delhi: A Hyderabad-bound Indigo flight received a bomb threat at the IGI airport here on Sunday night, forcing authorities to ground the aircraft and evacuate the passengers.
Officials said the cleaning up of the plane is going on and it is not yet verified whether it was a hoax call. Anti-sabotage checks are also being carried out on the aircraft 6E 307.
It is suspected that the call was made in a bid to delay the flight by a few hours, a CISF official said.
The 164 passengers on board the plane, including five crew members, were safely evacuated and the aircraft was moved to the isolation bay.
Meanwhile, a man, identified as 20-year-old Mubarak, has been arrested from Bhagirath Vihar area in East Delhi in this connection, DCP (IGI, Airport) K C Trivedi said.
Mubarak is the relative of one of the three passengers, identified as Ruzwan Malik, who reported late for the flight, a CISF official said.
The arrest came after the CISF personnel provided the Delhi police with the number of the PCO in Yamuna Vihar from which Mubarak had allegedly called the Indigo call centre, claiming there were explosives and weapons on board the plane.
An Indigo spokesperson said, "Our call centre received a threat and we instantly acted and grounded the flight. All passengers are safe".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video