IndiGo flight ruckus: Man sent to jail
New Delhi: A man, who was arrested for allegedly creating a ruckus on board an IndiGo flight from Mumbai to Delhi, was on Thursday sent to jail for a day by a Delhi court which was told that he was "mentally unstable".
Metropolitan Magistrate Pankaj Sharma sent Mursalin Sheikh to Tihar jail till tomorrow and directed police to verify the address of a person who volunteered to stand as a surety to the accused if he gets bail.
The court would pronounce its judgement tomorrow on the bail plea of Sheikh whose counsel submitted he deserved the relief as he was mentally unstable and medical records, provided by his family, showed this.
Sheikh, 41, who hails from Mumbai, had boarded the IndiGo flight (6E196) on Wednesday from Mumbai and later allegedly turned violent, assaulted the crew, and threatened to take the plane down.
The accused had also refused to listen to air hostesses and even tried to storm the cockpit, police said.
A case of assault, outraging the modesty of a woman and criminal intimidation has been registered against him.
During the hearing, the counsel for Sheikh also said he was not a "flight risk" as he is a permanent native of Mumbai.
Sheikh, who deals in second-hand cars, has been booked for offences which allows bail, the lawyer said.
The plane, which had taken off from Mumbai at 3:15 pm on November 7, was airborne for about an hour when Sheikh got agitated and began to talk threateningly, police said.
He also tried to move forward in the plane but was restrained by the crew and fellow passengers till the aircraft landed at the IGI airport here, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark