Indira indulged in communal politics: Modi
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has now trained guns on former prime minister Indira Gandhi, after targeting Manmohan Singh and Rahul Gandhi.
“Indira Gandhi had committed a big sin, I will just speak of one as she committed many of them. Known for her secular inclination, when she was contesting polls in northeast, the Congress Party mentioned in their manifesto that mentioned if they win, then they would bring in a rule synonymous to that in the Bible.”
"Can you imagine that if such is the stance while you are running the country then separatist forces would be at such a high advantage back then no one questioned her secularism," said Modi.
Modi further trained his guns on Nehru-Gandhi family by alleging that they have tried to distort history to their benefit and worked towards camouflaging the importance due to northeastern states.
"Events related to patriotism should have found more exposure and people should have been made aware of such inspirational personalities so that the young generation could draw immense motivation," he said.
"Some people laid down their lives for the country, many even spent their entire lives in jails of Andaman or were even executed. If these incidents come to light then what harm will it do to one particular family (Gandhis)? And, it is in this worry that the entire history is being deliberately distorted," he added.
Modi also criticised Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh saying he lacked both vision and gumption to run the country.
"He (Singh) lacks the vision and gumption to run the country. Before he was the country`s finance minister, for the discovery, mining and processing of uranium there used to be a set budget for its extraction. But since he became the finance minister not even a rupee has been spent from that budget. And later, after becoming Prime Minister he tried to approach America for all these things," Modi told a gathering at an event in Mumbai.
The Gujarat CM also accused the Manmohan Singh led UPA government of ignoring the Northeast.
Meanwhile, Congress today described as "unfortunate" the remarks of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi that late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi had announced during election campaign in the North East that if Congress was elected, the administration would be run as per the Bible.
"Indira Gandhi was a very respected leader of Congress party who was reverred even by her opponents. If anybody is making such remarks against her, it is very unfortunate," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi said.
Congress in-charge for Tripura Luisiano Faleiro, however, taunted Modi over the remarks asking if the Gujarat Chief Minister had ever visited the North East.
"Modi can talk about Gujarat, not the North East. Has he ever gone to North East"? Faleiro said.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!