Indo-American awarded with Guyana`s top award
Washington: Indian-American Yashpaul Soi has
been awarded with one of the highest civilian honours of Guyana
in recognition of his role in strengthening the democracy in
The award was presented to Soi, who is based in New York,
by Guyanese Indian-origin President Bharat Jagdeo at a special
ceremony in the countries capital Georgetown early this month.
Soi, an eminent Indian-American community leader and one
of the promoters of Bollywood in the US, was presented the
award for his outstanding role in the struggle for free and
fair elections and development of Guyana and generally
contributing to the national interests of that country.
Previously Jimmy Carter was honoured by Guyana, also for
his role in the restoration of democracy in the country.
Along with Soi, four other non-resident Guyanese were
presented with the award - Pandit Ramlall, Ramesh Kalicharran,
both settled in New York, and scientist Suresh Narine of
"Soi, who is an Indian national, and Kalicharran and
Pandit Ramlall were very much involved in the struggle to
restore democracy, having played an important role during the
difficult years in helping the founder of the People`s
Progressive Party Cheddi Jagan in the struggle," Jagdeo said
at the awards ceremony.
"These are very special people and I wanted to make sure
that their contributions are recognized," he said.
"To be recognized with this special award, at this
special ceremony in this way by the President and this
beautiful nation is a very humbling experience," Soi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'