Indo-American awarded with Guyana`s top award
Washington: Indian-American Yashpaul Soi has
been awarded with one of the highest civilian honours of Guyana
in recognition of his role in strengthening the democracy in
The award was presented to Soi, who is based in New York,
by Guyanese Indian-origin President Bharat Jagdeo at a special
ceremony in the countries capital Georgetown early this month.
Soi, an eminent Indian-American community leader and one
of the promoters of Bollywood in the US, was presented the
award for his outstanding role in the struggle for free and
fair elections and development of Guyana and generally
contributing to the national interests of that country.
Previously Jimmy Carter was honoured by Guyana, also for
his role in the restoration of democracy in the country.
Along with Soi, four other non-resident Guyanese were
presented with the award - Pandit Ramlall, Ramesh Kalicharran,
both settled in New York, and scientist Suresh Narine of
"Soi, who is an Indian national, and Kalicharran and
Pandit Ramlall were very much involved in the struggle to
restore democracy, having played an important role during the
difficult years in helping the founder of the People`s
Progressive Party Cheddi Jagan in the struggle," Jagdeo said
at the awards ceremony.
"These are very special people and I wanted to make sure
that their contributions are recognized," he said.
"To be recognized with this special award, at this
special ceremony in this way by the President and this
beautiful nation is a very humbling experience," Soi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites