Indo-American awarded with Guyana`s top award
Washington: Indian-American Yashpaul Soi has
been awarded with one of the highest civilian honours of Guyana
in recognition of his role in strengthening the democracy in
The award was presented to Soi, who is based in New York,
by Guyanese Indian-origin President Bharat Jagdeo at a special
ceremony in the countries capital Georgetown early this month.
Soi, an eminent Indian-American community leader and one
of the promoters of Bollywood in the US, was presented the
award for his outstanding role in the struggle for free and
fair elections and development of Guyana and generally
contributing to the national interests of that country.
Previously Jimmy Carter was honoured by Guyana, also for
his role in the restoration of democracy in the country.
Along with Soi, four other non-resident Guyanese were
presented with the award - Pandit Ramlall, Ramesh Kalicharran,
both settled in New York, and scientist Suresh Narine of
"Soi, who is an Indian national, and Kalicharran and
Pandit Ramlall were very much involved in the struggle to
restore democracy, having played an important role during the
difficult years in helping the founder of the People`s
Progressive Party Cheddi Jagan in the struggle," Jagdeo said
at the awards ceremony.
"These are very special people and I wanted to make sure
that their contributions are recognized," he said.
"To be recognized with this special award, at this
special ceremony in this way by the President and this
beautiful nation is a very humbling experience," Soi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened