Indo-Bangla border talks this week; BSF team to visit Dhaka
New Delhi: Top commanders of the border guarding forces of India and Bangladesh will meet later this week to thrash out a number of issues including illegal crossing overs and migration to Indian side and smuggling of narcotics along the eastern frontier.
A delegation led by Border Security Force (BSF) chief Subhash Joshi will travel to Dhaka for the five-day Director General-level talks begining September 14.
The Indian delegation will include officials from the border management division of the Home Ministry and from the Ministry of External Affairs.
The talks are a bi-annual affair between BSF and Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) which take place once in India and Bangladesh,
The BGB delegation will be led by its DG Maj Gen Aziz Ahmed.
Apart from the persistent issues plauging the 4,096 km Indo-Bangla border, the two forces will discuss issues related to smuggling of fake Indian currency notes (FICN), security of border guarding personnel and identification of sensitive posts along the Indo-Bangla border.
The Indian border guards will also take up issues of wrong and misinterpreted accusations levelled against them for the killing of Bangladeshi civilians during the meet.
"In the last six months close to five-six instances of wrongdoing have been levelled against BSF. They have proved to be untrue and totally false. These instances will be raised during the meeting," a senior official said.
The issue of illegal migration is also expected to be brought on the table, the official said.
The BSF DG is also expected to invite senior BGB officials and others to the first retreat ceremony to be held on the Petrapole-Benapole border on October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened