Indo-Bangla border talks this week; BSF team to visit Dhaka
New Delhi: Top commanders of the border guarding forces of India and Bangladesh will meet later this week to thrash out a number of issues including illegal crossing overs and migration to Indian side and smuggling of narcotics along the eastern frontier.
A delegation led by Border Security Force (BSF) chief Subhash Joshi will travel to Dhaka for the five-day Director General-level talks begining September 14.
The Indian delegation will include officials from the border management division of the Home Ministry and from the Ministry of External Affairs.
The talks are a bi-annual affair between BSF and Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) which take place once in India and Bangladesh,
The BGB delegation will be led by its DG Maj Gen Aziz Ahmed.
Apart from the persistent issues plauging the 4,096 km Indo-Bangla border, the two forces will discuss issues related to smuggling of fake Indian currency notes (FICN), security of border guarding personnel and identification of sensitive posts along the Indo-Bangla border.
The Indian border guards will also take up issues of wrong and misinterpreted accusations levelled against them for the killing of Bangladeshi civilians during the meet.
"In the last six months close to five-six instances of wrongdoing have been levelled against BSF. They have proved to be untrue and totally false. These instances will be raised during the meeting," a senior official said.
The issue of illegal migration is also expected to be brought on the table, the official said.
The BSF DG is also expected to invite senior BGB officials and others to the first retreat ceremony to be held on the Petrapole-Benapole border on October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!