Indo-China border talks starts today
New Delhi: India and China on Monday began talks
to put in place a mechanism for management of the border
between the two nations, an issue that has been an irritant in
National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon led the
Indian team at the 15th round of the Special Representatives
meeting with the Chinese delegation led by State Councillor
Dai Bingguo here.
The meeting was to be held in November last year but had
to be postponed after China protested Tibetan spiritual leader
the Dalai Lama`s participation in the Global Buddhist
Congregation in the capital around the time of the talks.
India had then rejected China`s demand for cancellation
of the Congregation leading to the postponement of the talks.
Dai and Menon are expected to discuss putting in place a
mechanism for border management mooted by Chinese Premier Wen
Jiabao during his visit to India in 2010.
A decision to set up the mechanism was taken at a
meeting Wen had with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at Sanya in
Recently, Menon had termed the boundary question as a
"difficult issue" that has remained unsolved.
"On the settlement itself, we are in the second stage of
the three stage process of agreeing principles, a framework
and finally a boundary line," he had said.
The dialogue at the level of SRs is a three-stage process
which started in 2005 with the declaration of the Guiding
Principles and Political Parameters.
The second stage is identifying the framework for
resolution of the boundary dispute and the third stage to
apply that framework.
The second and the third stages are the "hardest" part
of the negotiations and efforts are underway to conclude
these," sources had said.
The 14th round of talks had taken place in Beijing in
The SR mechanism was established in 2003, when Menon was
India`s ambassador to Beijing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata