Indo-Pak secretary level talks in November
New Delhi: India will again press for
normalisation of trade with Pakistan when Commerce Secretaries
of the two neighbouring countries meet here in the second week
The Commerce Secretary-level talks are being held within
two months of India-Pakistan trade ministers meeting, which
reviewed the bilateral commercial engagement. Commerce and
Industry Minister Anand Sharma had hosted his Pakistani
counterpart Makhdoom Amin Fahim in September.
"Essentially, we will review the progress of the agenda
set in Islamabad in April," a senior Commerce Ministry
The two countries had resumed economic talks after a long
gap in April and had drawn a roadmap for increasing the
bilateral trade which has remained at a low level of USD 2.65
billion in 2010-11.
Pakistan Commerce Secretary Zafar Mahmood would be here
for three days from November 14 for comprehensive discussions
with his Indian counterpart Rahul Khullar, the official said.
The main roadblock in pushing the bilateral trade is the
restrictions on imports of most of the Indian merchandise in
India has been pressing for an arrangement through which
the neighbouring country opens trade with New Delhi on all but
few items. This is what is followed by India, which allows
imports of all Pakistani items excepting a small number of
goods in the negative list.
Like in past, India will build further pressure on
Pakistan to agree for the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) treatment
for New Delhi.
There is a concern among Pakistani Industry that the
Indian exporters may flood the neighbouring market with their
merchandise once normal trade is allowed.
The feeling comes from imbalance in the bilateral trade
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog