Indo-Pak talks: Nirupama Rao meets GK Pillai
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao has met Union Home Secretary GK Pillai against the backdrop of apparent differences between the MEA and MHA in connection with the Indo-Pak talks.
Rao met Pillai yesterday and is understood to have briefed him about the recent talks between External Affairs Minister SM Krishna and his Pakistani counterpart SM Qureshi.
The meeting is being seen in many quarters as an effort by Rao to break the apparent communication gap in the aftermath of the July 15 talks between the two countries.
A controversy had erupted after Pillai had made a remark about involvement of ISI in Mumbai terror attacks ahead of the talks, a matter which was taken up by the Pakistani
side with its Foreign Minister saying that Pillai`s remarks were uncalled for, and tried to equate them to hate speeches by JuD leader Hafiz Saeed.
Disapproving the comments made by Pillai on the eve of Indo-Pak talks, Krishna had said that the timing of the remarks was "very unfortunate."
Krishna had said if he was the Home Secretary, he would not have spoken about the details of the Pakistani-American David Headley revelations.
Factually, Pillai was "very much in order" in speaking about the disclosures made by Headley to FBI and Indian interrogators but "the timing was something which was very
unfortunate," Krishna had said.
The Minister said that he discussed Pillai`s comments with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, whom he had briefed on his parleys with his Pakistani counterpart and other leaders.
He insisted that the government was speaking in one voice on Pakistan and said he was "glad" that Home Ministry has now announced the appointment of a spokesperson. In recent months, Pillai has been briefing the media.
However, he dismissed as "ridiculous" the comparison sought to be drawn by Qureshi between JuD chief`s anti-India statement and Pillai`s remarks on ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi