`Indo-US strategic dialogue could put more pressure on China`
Beijing: The first ever Indo-US strategic
dialogue being held in Washington to forge closer ties could
put "more pressure on China", according to a Chinese observer.
"Washington is hosting the first-ever strategic
dialogue between the US and India in hopes of forging stronger
ties, a move observers say may put more pressure on China,"
state-run `China Daily` reported today quoting the observer.
"The US may hope to get from India what it failed to
get from China, and through a strengthened cooperation with
another Asian giant, pressure China more on many issues," the
daily quoted Hu Shisheng, a scholar of South Asia studies at
the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations,
It is expected that cooperation on counter-terrorism
in Afghanistan and Pakistan, India`s role in Afghanistan,
issues related to science and technology will be discussed
during the meeting, the report said.
It also quoted US undersecretary of state for
political affairs William Burns as saying that the dialogue
would elevate India to rank of US` one "most important" global
"India, as a major power in Asia, has long placed its
relationship with the US at its heart especially in regards to
its rising regional influence," Hu said.
Hu said New Dehli hopes to see more dedication to
practical fields such as nuclear cooperation and technology
transfer, while Washington wants its partner to further open
its market and show continual support on the Iranian nuclear
"But the dialogue will be more ceremonious than
effective. The US has already held many such dialogues with
China and Pakistan, and now India needs to verify its
importance to the US through the same channel," Hu said
referring to the second round of strategic and economic
dialogue between China and US here last month.
In March Pakistan and the US completed their fourth
round of strategic dialogue, which was upgraded to ministerial
level last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest