Indonesia quake: Tsunami watch in Indian Ocean
Washington: The United States earthquake monitoring system has issued a notification for a tsunami watch in the Indian Ocean, as per reports on CNN.
"Earthquakes of this size have the potential to generate a widespread destructive tsunami that can affect coastlines across the entire Indian Ocean basin," the US Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.
The quake, which had its epicentre off the coast of Sumatra, has potentially triggered off massive water movement which may result in waves of the size of a tsunami.
Nicobar Islands, owing to their position, may come in the way of waves.
The agency, however, said that danger from a Tsunami remains low.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another