Industrialist arrested in RS poll horse trading case
Ranchi: Industrialist RK Agarwal, an Independent candidate in last year`s Rajya Sabha election in Jharkhand, was arrested by the CBI on Tuesday.
"Agarwal was arrested from a place near a court here. He has been taken for interrogation in connection with the alleged horse trading during Rajya Sabha election," Deputy Superintendent of Police (CBI) A K Jha said.
Agarwal was accused of horse trading during the biennial election last year.
Special CBI judge R K Chaudhary on Tuesday had cancelled Agarwal`s bail plea on the request of the investigating agency, which claimed the lower court had granted bail despite evidence against him under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The Election Commission had countermanded the Rajya Sabha polls in two seats in Jharkhand in the wake of allegations of horse trading and seizure of Rs 2.15 crore in cash from an aide of Agarwal.
The CBI had taken charge of the investigation, and conducted raids in the premises of at least 23 MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre