Inflation a global problem: Govt on price rise
New Delhi: The UPA government on Wednesday rubbished charges leveled by the main opposition BJP that it lacks seriousness in taming rising prices and inflation, while maintaining that it is a global phenomenon and affects all leading economies.
Responding to the debate on price rise, Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid said, “All leading economies are battling high inflation. It is a global phenomenon. India has its own identity but the decisions taken by the Western countries cannot be imposed on us. However, it is true that the global development impacts India. I would like to assure that the government is committed to improving the situation even if it takes adopting certain strict measures.”
Presenting the government’s view point on the subject, Khurshid said, “All major economies including the UK today face this problem. As a matter of fact, the policy makers in the UK have targeted to contain the inflation at 2% but it is at 4% at the moment.
Calling for concerted efforts in controlling spiraling prices, Khurshid said, “We have high hopes that this session will give tangible answers to the problem of price rise and inflation.”
Asking the lawmakers to understand the realities of globalised economy, the Law Minister said, “The government has come out with several schemes to fight rising inflation. There is growth in all sectors of economy but we need to take adequate food stock for difficult times.”
“Government is now releasing excess food stock through public welfare schemes for the BPL families, he added.
Quashing BJP’s charges that the government has been passing the buck on controlling inflation on the RBI, Khurshid said, “We should not follow the observations and recommendations made by various surveys.”
“Growth is inevitable for overall prosperity of the nation but for that a high growth rate is required, We can’t accept growth at just any rates, “he added.
However, he concluded by saying efforts are being taken to bring down inflation in two months as suggested by the Opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry