Influx from Bangladesh a national problem: BJP
Sibsagar (Assam): The BJP regards large scale infiltration from neighbouring Bangladesh to the North Eastern region as a national problem and not just a regional problem.
"This is a national problem as the country`s security is concerned. It is no longer a regional problem or an issue concerning the states of the North Eastern region only", BJP`s women`s wing national president Smriti Irani told a news agency here last night.
Irani, who is here to attend the ongoing BJP`s state executive meet as an observer, said even New Delhi has admitted that the infiltration problem was a major issue. Promising to take up the matter with the party`s central leadership and the government, Irani said the country`s security had been jeopardised by such a large scale influx.
Launching a scathing attack on the ruling Congress both in the state and the Centre, the actor-turned politician alleged that it was "doubtful" whether any action would be taken against infiltrators.
"They (Congress) are using the Bangladeshis as their vote bank", she alleged.
On the Bhopal tragedy, Irani demanded a punishment for the guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter