Injured Indian student discharged from hospital in Germany
Bonn: A 24-year-old Indian student, who was brutally assaulted here on Christmas eve by two men demanding him to convert to Islam, has been discharged from hospital after his condition improved, German police said on Friday.
The student, whose identity has not been revealed, is recovering well and his injuries are not as serious as thought initially, a police spokesman told a news agency.
Meanwhile, police in Bonn are continuing their search for the two men who had demanded the student to convert to Islam and threatened to cut off his tongue if he refused.
So far, the police have no concrete information on the motive of the attack, but they have a strong suspicion that Islamic radicals may have been involved in the incident.
Therefore, a special police unit has taken up the investigations and it is cooperating closely with the state prosecutor in Bonn, the spokesman said.
The victim told the police that he was walking to a pub shortly after 10 on Christmas eve when two strangers approached him, picked up conversation and demanded him to convert to Islam.
They threatened to cut off his tongue if he refuses, the police commissioner in Bonn said in a press statement earlier.
As he tried to get rid of them and walked further, they followed him and knocked him down from behind. When he fell down, one of the assailants gave him a cut on his tongue, the statement said.
After the attackers drove away from the scene in a car, a passer-by helped the student to call an ambulance, which took him to a near-by hospital.
He was bleeding heavily from his head and from his mouth when the ambulance and police officials arrived at the scene, the statement said.
Police issued an appeal for help from eyewitnesses, who could provide vital clues to track down the two assailants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city