INLD for special session of Haryana assembly on khaps
Chandigarh: Opposition Indian National Lok
Dal (INDL) of former chief minister Om Prakash Chautala today
sought convening of a special session of Haryana assembly to
demand the Centre promulgate an ordinance for banning marriage
within same gotra till amendment in the Hindu marriage Act.
Three INLD MLAs including its State unit President Ashok
Arora gave notice to the assembly speaker H S Chatha for
convening a special session of the assembly soon for this.
The demand to the centre would be made through resolution
passed in the special session, a party release said here.
INLD`s move today would come as a shot in the arm for Khap
Panchayats (caste based councils) who have been demanding
amendments in the 1955 Act as it did not address the same
The self-styled Khaps in Haryana have in the recent past
hit headlines for ordering couples tying knot within same
gotra annul their marriages.
Congress MP from Kurukshetra, Navin Jindal has also
supported the demand of the khaps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row