INLD for special session of Haryana assembly on khaps
Chandigarh: Opposition Indian National Lok
Dal (INDL) of former chief minister Om Prakash Chautala today
sought convening of a special session of Haryana assembly to
demand the Centre promulgate an ordinance for banning marriage
within same gotra till amendment in the Hindu marriage Act.
Three INLD MLAs including its State unit President Ashok
Arora gave notice to the assembly speaker H S Chatha for
convening a special session of the assembly soon for this.
The demand to the centre would be made through resolution
passed in the special session, a party release said here.
INLD`s move today would come as a shot in the arm for Khap
Panchayats (caste based councils) who have been demanding
amendments in the 1955 Act as it did not address the same
The self-styled Khaps in Haryana have in the recent past
hit headlines for ordering couples tying knot within same
gotra annul their marriages.
Congress MP from Kurukshetra, Navin Jindal has also
supported the demand of the khaps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test