Innovate to overcome development challenges: President
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday stressed the need for innovation in India to overcome the challenges of development in areas like health, education, water, food security and energy.
"An innovative approach becomes even more imperative in our context, where there is a huge reservoir of unmet needs in areas such as health, education, water, food security and energy," said the president.
Sam Pitroda, chairman of the National Innovation Council and Adviser to the Prime Minister, in the presence of Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology Kapil Sibal, presented the council`s second annual `Report to the People 2012` to the president at Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
"Innovation can provide solutions to such challenges and in the process, also enable many more people to harness the gains from India`s growth story.
"India has tremendous untapped potential for innovation," Mukherjee said.
According to the president, innovation is the key driver of growth and development in an era marked by rapid technological advancements.
He pointed out that not only India`s demographic dividend and thriving democracy can provide a fertile ground for innovation, the population of 550 million persons aged below 25 years makes it imperative that "we innovate to meet their needs in a sustainable manner, while also creating new opportunities for them."
A live video link was established during the event from Rashtrapati Bhavan to Moradabad Cluster and Kanpura Gram Panchayat in Ajmer district of Rajasthan showcasing National Innovation Council`s Innovation Cluster Initiative as well as Rural Broadband Connectivity programme.
The report highlights the activities and initiatives the Council has undertaken to strengthen the innovation eco system in the country. It builds on the previous work of the Council and outlines the new initiatives in the past year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks