Innovate to overcome development challenges: President
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday stressed the need for innovation in India to overcome the challenges of development in areas like health, education, water, food security and energy.
"An innovative approach becomes even more imperative in our context, where there is a huge reservoir of unmet needs in areas such as health, education, water, food security and energy," said the president.
Sam Pitroda, chairman of the National Innovation Council and Adviser to the Prime Minister, in the presence of Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology Kapil Sibal, presented the council`s second annual `Report to the People 2012` to the president at Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
"Innovation can provide solutions to such challenges and in the process, also enable many more people to harness the gains from India`s growth story.
"India has tremendous untapped potential for innovation," Mukherjee said.
According to the president, innovation is the key driver of growth and development in an era marked by rapid technological advancements.
He pointed out that not only India`s demographic dividend and thriving democracy can provide a fertile ground for innovation, the population of 550 million persons aged below 25 years makes it imperative that "we innovate to meet their needs in a sustainable manner, while also creating new opportunities for them."
A live video link was established during the event from Rashtrapati Bhavan to Moradabad Cluster and Kanpura Gram Panchayat in Ajmer district of Rajasthan showcasing National Innovation Council`s Innovation Cluster Initiative as well as Rural Broadband Connectivity programme.
The report highlights the activities and initiatives the Council has undertaken to strengthen the innovation eco system in the country. It builds on the previous work of the Council and outlines the new initiatives in the past year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users