INS Arihant nuke reactor to be activated in 2-3 weeks: DRDO
New Delhi: Moving towards completing its nuclear triad, India will activate the atomic reactor on-board the indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant in the "next two to three weeks" paving way for its operational deployment by the Navy soon.
"The nuclear reactor on-board the INS Arihant would be made critical (activated) in next two to three weeks," DRDO chief VK Saraswat told PTI here on Saturday.
Nuclear triad is the ability to fire nuclear-tipped missiles from land, air and sea.
He said after the nuclear reactor is activated, the agencies concerned can work towards readying the warship for operational deployments soon.
INS Arihant has been undergoing trials at Navy`s key submarine base in Vishakhapatnam and would be launched for sea trials after the nuclear reactor goes critical.
The DRDO has also readied a medium-range nuclear missile BO-5 for being deployed on the Arihant and its last developmental trial was held on January 27 off the coast of Vishakhapatnam.
The nuclear submarine will help India achieve the capability of going into high seas without the need to surface the vessel for long durations.
Conventional diesel-electric submarines have to come up on surface at regular intervals for charging the cells of the vessel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror