INS Chakra nearing completion trials, delivery in June
Moscow: The trial of Indian Navy`s
Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine are nearing completion
according to Russian shipbuilders, paving the way for its
leasing to India on schedule next month.
"We are now completing the state trials of the nuclear
submarine the Nerpa in the Far East. So far everything is
moving as per schedule," CEO of state-owned United
Shipbuilding Corporation Roman Trotsenko told Prime Minister
Vladimir Putin at their meeting in the Black Sea resort of
The Nerpa being acquired by Indian Navy in USD 650
million 10 year lease deal has been christened INS Chakra and
would become the first advanced nuclear submarine of the
Indian Navy after its induction.
The Indian Navy had leased a Soviet nuclear submarine
in late 80`s which was returned to Moscow.
Nerpa was initially scheduled to be delivered in 2009,
but its induction was delayed as it was hit by an accident in
November 2008 while on factory trial sailing in the Sea of
Twenty members of the technical staff were killed and
21 poisoned due to accidental release of toxic Freon gas from
the fire suppression system in their sleeping quarters, a
sailor was detained for alleged tempering of temperature
Since then Prime Minister Vladmir Putin, who
personally flew to the highly indebted Komsomolsk-on-Amur
shipyard last May and released the funds for completion of the
project. Putin has been personally supervising the delivery of
An Indian Naval crew is to do joint sailing with the
Russian crew before taking the delivery of the submarine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'