INS Hansa to complete 50 years on Sep 5
New Delhi: Indian Navy`s premier air base INS
Hansa which houses its state of art air dominance supersonic carrier based fighter aircraft MiG 29-K, will complete its
golden jubilee on September 5.
"The naval base saw its first operational deployment
during Operation Vijay in 1961 which resulted in liberation of
Goa. During 1965 Indo-Pak war, the Sea Hawk and Alize aircraft
squadrons based there were entrusted with air-defence of
Bombay, Goa and Cochin," Navy officials said here.
Navy`s fighter training squadron, INAS-551 will also complete its 50 years the same day.
INS Hansa presently houses squadrons like INAS-300 which
flies the Sea Harrier fighters, INAS-310 flying Dornier
reconnaissance aircraft, INAS-315 with the long range maritime
patrol aircraft and INAS-339 with the airborne early warning
INAS-551 with the Kirans and INAS-552 with the Sea
Harrier trainers also operate from there.
The base again saw action during 1971 Indo-Pak war, when
INAS- 300 squadron with 18-aircraft onboard INS Vikrant were
put into action against Pakistan.
"In a mere 10 days, the air strikes accounted for more
than 100,776 tonnes of Pakistani ships sinking in the sea. The
destruction also included important airfields, harbors and
troop positions," the officials said.
For its gallant role in the conflict, INAS-300 won one
Maha Vir Chakra, five Vir Chakras, one Nao Sena Medal and four
Mentions in Despatches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Have given corruption free govt: Amit Shah on 2 years of Modi raj
- Raghuram Rajan's reappointment as RBI Governor should not be of media's interest: PM Modi
- Can a car headrest be a rescue tool in emergency?
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan
- New Zealand plan first day-night Test against England in 2018