INS Karuva commissioned in Visakhapatnam
Visakhapatnam: INS Karuva, the tenth indigenously built Fast Attack Craft (FAC) of the Indian Navy, has been commissioned.
Air Marshal KJ Mathews, Commander-in-Chief, Strategic Forces Command at the naval base here, commissioned it on Thursday at a colourful ceremony.
Vice Admiral Anup Singh, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command, and Rear Admiral (Retd) KC Sekhar, chief managing director, GRSE were present on the occasion. The ceremony was also attended by several senior officers and men of the Navy along with their families.
On arrival at the naval jetty, the chief guest was received by Vice Admiral Anup Singh.
The Air Marshal was presented a Guard of Honour and introduced to the ships officers.
Following the inaugural and keynote addresses delivered by Rear Admiral K C Sekhar (Retd), chairman and managing director, M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Limited, and Vice Admiral Anup Singh respectively, Lieutenant Commander Manish Kumar Rai, Commanding Officer INS Karuva, read out the commissioning warrant.
The hoisting of the naval ensign onboard for the first time and the breaking of the commissioning pennant with the National Anthem being played, marked the formal commissioning ceremony.
Air Marshal Mathews addressed the gathering on completion of the ceremony and unveiled the ship`s plaque.
Named after an island situated on a tributary of river Kabani in Kerala, INS Karuva, measuring 52 meters in length and displacing 325 tons, can achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
The ship has a complement of four officers and 39 sailors. Built for extended coastal and offshore surveillance and patrol, with advanced MTU engines and latest communication sets, the INS Karuva, following in the footsteps of INS Koswari, commissioned on July 12, 2011, will also be based at Karwar, under the Naval Officer-in-Charge (Karnataka) and will be deployed for coastal patrol and anti-piracy missions along the Konkan Coast and the Lakshadweep group of islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre