INS Ranvijay completes 25 years of service
Visakhapatnam: INS Ranvijay on Friday completed 25 years of its service in the Indian Navy, an official release said here.
It is the fifth and the latest ship of the Rajput class Guided Missile Destroyers and was commissioned into the Indian Navy on December 21, 1987 at Poti, in the erstwhile USSR, it said.
Equipped with the Brahmos missile, the ship was one of the most heavily armed warships of the Indian Navy and was frontline unit of the Eastern Fleet.
Over the years, the ship has participated in various operations undertaken by the Indian Navy, the release added.
The operational capability of the ship has grown from strength-to-strength, leaving in its wake a rich legacy of excellence, true to its motto of "Sangrame Vaibhavasya" (Glorious in War), according to the release.
The occasion was celebrated by the crew with traditional gusto with a promise to serve the Indian Navy and achieve greater glory, it further said.
INS Nirbhik, an OSA M class missile boat, also completed 25th years of its service yesterday, it said.
INS Nirbhik, in her first incarnation, had a glorious innings from February 21, 1971 to December 31, 1986. The legend of Nirbhik was reincarnated on December 1987 in its present body – a missile vessel of the Veer class (Project 1241 RE) at Poti (USSR).
The present Nirbhik was commissioned by Lt Cdr V R Naphade and christened by Mrs Tripta Jerath (wife of Commodore V Jerath, VrC, Naval Attaché, Moscow).
Presently, the ship is commanded by CDR Deepak Kumar Subramanian, specialised in Anti-Submarine Warfare.
The ship has a complement of six officers and 84 sailors and is fitted with four gas turbines. It was capable of manoeuvring at 36 knots of sustained speeds.
The ship has the capability of launching surface-to-surface missiles to a range of approx 100 km, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore