INS Saryu commissioned near Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Panaji: The Indian Navy on Monday commissioned its largest off shore patrol vessel INS Saryu for maritime surveillance around Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Built at Goa Shipyard Limited, the 105-meter vessel is the first of the four new class naval off shore patrol vessels (NOPVs) that would be commissioned by the Indian Navy over next one-and-half year.
"The ship will help the Navy to discharge its duty on the eastern coast. It will patrol the exclusive economic zone around the islands as it has a capacity to be off shore for a month on its own," Air Marshal PK Roy, the Commander in Chief of Andaman and Nicobar Command of Indian Navy, told a news agency.
Air Marshal Roy commissioned the ship in Vasco town near here today in presence of senior naval officials.
"This is an important step towards security of our maritime assets based near Andaman and Nicobar Islands," he said, adding that the security of few of the islands which are uninhabited is crucial.
"There are 500 islands of which many are not inhabited," he said, adding that the area around Andaman and Nicobar Islands is strategic from naval point of view.
Indian Navy officials said INS Saryu will also be important to provide secured environment for oil installations off Andaman and Nicobar coast.
"The vessel can also be deployed for escorting high value ships and fleet support operations," a senior official added.
"The ship is the Indian Navy`s largest off shore patrol vessel, the first in its class," said Rear Admiral (Retd) Vineet Bakhshi, the chairman and managing director of Goa Shipyard Limited.
The second ship in this class would be delivered by May this year and the rest two ships within an interval of six months each thereafter, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'