INS Sindhurakshak tragedy: Navy inquiry yet to be completed
Vishakhapatnam: Almost three months after the INS Sindhurakshak sank in the Mumbai harbour area, the Navy is yet to complete its inquiry to ascertain the reasons behind the accident.
"Of course, it was a tragedy that should not have happened. Lessons (from the mishap) would be learnt only after we have concluded the inquiry process. We are waiting for the floating of the boat," Navy chief Admiral D K Joshi told a TV news channel.
He said the Navy has identified five renowned salvaging firms and the force would know by Monday about the lowest bidder in the tender.
Soon after the mishap on August 14, the Navy chief had said that the Board of Inquiry into the incident would be completed within a month but the inquiry is yet to be completed.
The Navy Chief said the forensic evidence inside the vessel would be known only after the vessel is brought up and the "BoI would be able to complete its proceedings".
The INS Sindhurakshak had sunk before sailing out for a secret mission in the Mumbai`s Navy harbour killing all 18 persons on board.
The Navy Chief was yesterday in Vishakhapatnam to induct the Hawk trainer aircraft at the naval base and also went on board INS Jalashwa on a sea sortie in the Bay of Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!