INS Sudarshini begins 9-nation voyage
Chennai: Aiming to cement ties between India and Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), "INS Sudarshini", a sail training ship, began its journey from here on saturday on a nine nation voyage.
Director General Naval Projects Visakhapatnam, DGNP(V) Vice Admiral V K Namballa flagged off the ship, manned by five officers, 31 sailors, 30 Naval and Coast Guard cadets, from the Chennai Port Trust on Saturday.
INS Sudarshini has been launched as India`s goodwill ambassador at sea to cement her ties with the ASEAN countries, an official release said.
During its journey, the ship would call on 13 foreign ports across nine nations to bolster friendship across the seas.
The ship would take the ancient route of Indian mariners to South East Asia, it said, adding during its journey, the ship would spend a total of 127 days before berthing back at Kochi on March 29, 2013.
The ship would take on board two foreign trainees at each port who will disembark on the next port, laying the ground for the strengthening of bilateral relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'