INS Sudarshini begins 9-nation voyage
Chennai: Aiming to cement ties between India and Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), "INS Sudarshini", a sail training ship, began its journey from here on saturday on a nine nation voyage.
Director General Naval Projects Visakhapatnam, DGNP(V) Vice Admiral V K Namballa flagged off the ship, manned by five officers, 31 sailors, 30 Naval and Coast Guard cadets, from the Chennai Port Trust on Saturday.
INS Sudarshini has been launched as India`s goodwill ambassador at sea to cement her ties with the ASEAN countries, an official release said.
During its journey, the ship would call on 13 foreign ports across nine nations to bolster friendship across the seas.
The ship would take the ancient route of Indian mariners to South East Asia, it said, adding during its journey, the ship would spend a total of 127 days before berthing back at Kochi on March 29, 2013.
The ship would take on board two foreign trainees at each port who will disembark on the next port, laying the ground for the strengthening of bilateral relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi