INS Sudarshini begins 9-nation voyage
Chennai: Aiming to cement ties between India and Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), "INS Sudarshini", a sail training ship, began its journey from here on saturday on a nine nation voyage.
Director General Naval Projects Visakhapatnam, DGNP(V) Vice Admiral V K Namballa flagged off the ship, manned by five officers, 31 sailors, 30 Naval and Coast Guard cadets, from the Chennai Port Trust on Saturday.
INS Sudarshini has been launched as India`s goodwill ambassador at sea to cement her ties with the ASEAN countries, an official release said.
During its journey, the ship would call on 13 foreign ports across nine nations to bolster friendship across the seas.
The ship would take the ancient route of Indian mariners to South East Asia, it said, adding during its journey, the ship would spend a total of 127 days before berthing back at Kochi on March 29, 2013.
The ship would take on board two foreign trainees at each port who will disembark on the next port, laying the ground for the strengthening of bilateral relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative