INS Vikramaditya dedicated to nation: As it happened
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
On his arrival, Modi was received at INS Hansa (naval air station in Goa) by Navy chief Admiral RK Dhowan, and given a ceremonial guard of honour.
This is Prime Minister`s first visit outside Delhi after taking over on May 26. He is scheduled to spend around three hours on the 44,500-tonne Vikramaditya, which showcases India`s naval prowess.
About INS Vikramaditya
The deal for the aircraft carrier was signed during the previous NDA regime in 2004 and the ship will be dedicated to the nation after a gap of ten years.
The vessel had joined the Indian Navy on November 16, 2013. The ship was earlier commissioned by the then defence minister AK Antony in Russia.
Vikramaditya, a floating airfield, has an overall length of about 284 metres and a maximum beam of about 60 metres, stretching as much as three football fields put together.
Standing about 20 storeys tall from keel to the highest point, the ship has a total of 22 decks and carries 1,600 personnel.
With over 1,600 personnel on board, Vikramaditya is literally a floating city. Linked to the personnel on board is mammoth logistics requirement - nearly 100,000 eggs, 20,000 litres of milk and 16 tonnes of rice, to name just a few, per month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued