INS Vikramaditya to be inducted into Indian Navy tomorrow, Antony to reach Russia
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After a five-year-long wait, Aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya will be inducted into Indian Navy on Saturday.
Defence Minister AK Antony will tomorrow commission INS Vikramaditya at the Sevmash shipyard in Russia.
Indian Naval Ship Vikramaditya is the country`s second aircraft carrier and the navy`s biggest warship.
INS Vikramaditya will not have any air defence systems on board to protect itself from aerial attacks while coming home from Russia and the Navy has sent warships to escort it safely.
The escort group of warships has been sent to Russia to bring the carrier to India through a classified route to bring it to its home base in the Arabian Sea, they said.
INS Vikramaditya`s commissioning is being described as "a game changer" in naval circles, and is expected to project India`s maritime power far beyond its shores.
The aircraft carrier is expected to reach India by early next year.
Vikramaditya is 284 meters in length, and with its beam of about 60 meters, it stretches to an area as large as three football fields. It has 22 decks and will have over 1,600 personnel on board.
The warship can carry over 30 aircraft, comprising an assortment of MiG 29K/Sea Harrier, Kamov 31, Kamov 28, Sea King, ALH-Dhruv and Chetak helicopters.
Long range air surveillance radars and advanced electronic warfare suite makes the ship capable of maintaining "a surveillance bubble" of over 500 km around the ship.
The ship is equipped with state-of-the-art launch and recovery systems and computer-aided Action Information Organisation (CAIO) system, which is the heart of the operational network that infuses life into the combat systems onboard the ship.
Negotiations over acquiring Admiral Gorshkov (which was re-named INS Vikramaditya) started in 1994. A memorandum of understanding was signed in December 1998, and the deal was made January 2004.
The warship, which was given for `free` to India in 2004, is ultimately going to cost more than Rs 12,000 crore to the nation.
The Navy has plans of bringing the warship to India and deploy it at the newly-developed Karwar naval base called Project Seabird.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand