Insecurity among people from North-East reprehensible: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh ON Friday described as "reprehensible" the growing sense of insecurity among people from the North- East living in other parts of the country and promised that his government is committed to take all steps to control the situation.
Singh condemned all such incidents during a debate in the Lok Sabha on the violence in Kokrajhar, as also in Mumbai and other parts of the country against people from the North-East.
"The growing sense of insecurity among the people from the North-East fleeing different part of the country is something most reprehensible," he said.
Singh promised that he commits his government to work with all "like-minded" people to work together to bring the situation under control without any loss of time.
He emphasised that people from the North-East had "as much right" as anybody else to study and work in any part of the country.
Singh urged the people to maintain unity and integrity of the country. The people are one and "we will do everything to provide them security," he said.
The Prime Minister said security was an obligation for his government and it will provide this to the best of its ability.
"We should send a clear message that we will do everything to provide security to people from North-East living in various parts of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part II
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part IV
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part III
- Not hosting Modi government event: Amitabh Bachchan
- Mercedes insist all cool after Spanish storm; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clear the air
- Foxconn factory goes 'techno'; replaces workers with 60,000 robots!
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM