Insecurity among people from North-East reprehensible: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh ON Friday described as "reprehensible" the growing sense of insecurity among people from the North- East living in other parts of the country and promised that his government is committed to take all steps to control the situation.
Singh condemned all such incidents during a debate in the Lok Sabha on the violence in Kokrajhar, as also in Mumbai and other parts of the country against people from the North-East.
"The growing sense of insecurity among the people from the North-East fleeing different part of the country is something most reprehensible," he said.
Singh promised that he commits his government to work with all "like-minded" people to work together to bring the situation under control without any loss of time.
He emphasised that people from the North-East had "as much right" as anybody else to study and work in any part of the country.
Singh urged the people to maintain unity and integrity of the country. The people are one and "we will do everything to provide them security," he said.
The Prime Minister said security was an obligation for his government and it will provide this to the best of its ability.
"We should send a clear message that we will do everything to provide security to people from North-East living in various parts of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video