Insecurity among people from North-East reprehensible: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh ON Friday described as "reprehensible" the growing sense of insecurity among people from the North- East living in other parts of the country and promised that his government is committed to take all steps to control the situation.
Singh condemned all such incidents during a debate in the Lok Sabha on the violence in Kokrajhar, as also in Mumbai and other parts of the country against people from the North-East.
"The growing sense of insecurity among the people from the North-East fleeing different part of the country is something most reprehensible," he said.
Singh promised that he commits his government to work with all "like-minded" people to work together to bring the situation under control without any loss of time.
He emphasised that people from the North-East had "as much right" as anybody else to study and work in any part of the country.
Singh urged the people to maintain unity and integrity of the country. The people are one and "we will do everything to provide them security," he said.
The Prime Minister said security was an obligation for his government and it will provide this to the best of its ability.
"We should send a clear message that we will do everything to provide security to people from North-East living in various parts of the country," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list