Institutional decay plaguing intellectual life, says Ramesh
Mumbai: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday observed that academic institutions of repute in the country witness an "institutional decay" after completing three decades or more.
"My theory of our institutions is that they have a half life of about 35 years. After which, they begin to lose their intellectual gravitas...Rule of institutional decay has become so very problematic in our intellectual life," Ramesh told the IGIDR students on their convocation here.
Digging into the causes for this, Ramesh said, "One of the great tragedies of our academic institutions is parochialism."
Appreciating the inclusion of a Manipuri student among the passing-out batch of the RBI-promoted Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research this year, he told the gathering, "If you retain the national character both in the faculty and students that would be a great achievement."
The comments, made in the financial capital, assume importance given the highly emotive issue of regional identity in the political arena in the state.
Ramesh, who carries a reputation for articulating his contrarian views on issues publicly, also attacked the system of mentorship in the academia.
"The problem of mentors is that they become tormentors," he said, advising, mentors to exit and make way for the protege at the right time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials