Insufficient central funds to carry out welfare schemes: UP Guv
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government today
said funds provided by the Centre was insufficient to carry
out welfare schemes in the state and termed the hike in the
state advised price for sugarcane as "unprecedented".
UP Governor B L Joshi in his address to the joint session
of the state Legislature alleged that the Central government
has not provided enough funds for the upgrade and maintenance
of roads under the Central Road fund despite proposals of
about Rs 1424 crore sent by the state.
The Governor, in his 24-page speech which is considered to
be a policy document of the state government, pointed out that
the Uttar Pradesh government had been drawing the Center’s
attention towards taking effective steps to control spiraling.
prices which have made the survival of common man difficult.
Stressing that the government has redefined the meaning
of development by linking it with ground realities, he termed
the Rs 25 per quintal-hike in the state advised price for
sugarcane as "unprecedented".
He said the state has taken a number of steps for
improving financial management by resorting to austerity
measures in dealing with the burden of implementation of sixth
The governor alleged that a negligible amount was being
made available to the state by the Centre for its scholarship
schemes of pre tenth and post tenth students.
"The state government has not been provided the required
amount of Rs. 2074 crore," the Governor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender