Insurance companies` nod must for uterus removal surgeries
New Delhi: In the wake of media reports that some people were getting uterus removal operations done just to get the insurance money under Rashtriya Swasthaya Bima Yojana, government has issued advisory that for such surgeries on women below 40, approval of insurance companies has to be taken.
This information was shared in the Lok Sabha by Labour and Employment minister Mallikarjun Kharge in response to a question.
Kharge said there were news reports that hysterectomy operations were being conducted just for the insurance money, even in cases where it was not medically required. Keeping in mind the seriousness of these charges, the central government had also formed a team to ascertain the truth.
"The overall observation of the Central team is that RSBY is not a reason for the hysterectomy surgeries being done on the patients...However, as a precautionary measure, Ministry of Labour and Employment has issued an advisory to the states and UTs that for all hysterectomy operations to be performed on women less than 40 years of age, authorisation letter of the insurance company has to be taken," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet