Insurgents cross Indo-Myanmar border, surrender in Manipur
Imphal: Four insurgents of banned Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) crossed the Indo-Myanmar international border and surrendered before Manipur police at the border town of Moreh along with arms, police said today.
The insurgents identified as R K Ibungo alias Bishwajit (23), `Akoijam Basant alias Fighter (38), Ningthoujam Thoiba alias Gopen (25) and lance corporal Akoijam Jiten alias Ningjaba (27) laid down arms before Manipur police commandos at Moreh yesterday, the police said.
The four insurgents who had been staying at an undisclosed area of Myanmar for sometime had informed the police through an intermediary that they wanted to surrender before the authorities and crossed the international border on Sunday last.
The four were brought to Manipur police commando complex here and would be rehabilitated soon, the police said.
The number of insurgents who laid down arms before the authorities have crossed 200 this year and highest number of insurgents who surrendered before the authorities was 197 who laid down arms on February 13 last.
In another unrelated incident, suspected militants exploded a powerful grenade at the residence of the chairman of the autonomous district council (Chandel district) Lukhosei Jou at Moreh town late last night, they said.
Jou`s brother-in-law Dounglenzou was injured in the blast.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video