Insurgents cross Indo-Myanmar border, surrender in Manipur
Imphal: Four insurgents of banned Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) crossed the Indo-Myanmar international border and surrendered before Manipur police at the border town of Moreh along with arms, police said today.
The insurgents identified as R K Ibungo alias Bishwajit (23), `Akoijam Basant alias Fighter (38), Ningthoujam Thoiba alias Gopen (25) and lance corporal Akoijam Jiten alias Ningjaba (27) laid down arms before Manipur police commandos at Moreh yesterday, the police said.
The four insurgents who had been staying at an undisclosed area of Myanmar for sometime had informed the police through an intermediary that they wanted to surrender before the authorities and crossed the international border on Sunday last.
The four were brought to Manipur police commando complex here and would be rehabilitated soon, the police said.
The number of insurgents who laid down arms before the authorities have crossed 200 this year and highest number of insurgents who surrendered before the authorities was 197 who laid down arms on February 13 last.
In another unrelated incident, suspected militants exploded a powerful grenade at the residence of the chairman of the autonomous district council (Chandel district) Lukhosei Jou at Moreh town late last night, they said.
Jou`s brother-in-law Dounglenzou was injured in the blast.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report