`Insurgents using Bangladesh to spread militancy in India`
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar has said that neighbouring Bangladesh is still being used by insurgent groups to conduct terror activities in the region.
While addressing an event in memory of martyr policemen in Agartala on Sunday, Sarkar said though militancy in the state has dipped, yet it has not been eradicated.
“Militants have become weak and cornered. The people of Tripura have isolated them but not uprooted the menace completely. It is not true that they are totally inactive.”
“Presently they are very active, yes in comparison to earlier days their activities have come down. According to our information at present in Bangladesh there are still 20-22 militant camps of our state,” said Sarkar.
He highlighted that though Bangladesh has cooperated in curbing use of its soil for militancy-related activities, however more efforts are needed to eradicate it completely.
“However, the present government in Bangladesh is very active in not allowing the militants to use their soil for spreading terror in our country.”
“And by this they have tried to improve relations with India. But we have also noticed that during the last two years the Bangladesh government has taken few measures against the militants who are using their territory," said Sarkar.
Separatist movements have riddled India`s remote northeast for decades. Manipur is one of India`s most troubled regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- North Korea submarine fires ballistic missile, draws flak
- Gold price logs modest gains on jewellers' buying, overseas trend
- Iraq forces launch push to retake town south of Mosul
- BJP protesters cane-charged in Lucknow, over dozen injured
- 2016 US Open: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams named top seeds for season's final Grand Slam