`Insurgents using Bangladesh to spread militancy in India`
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar has said that neighbouring Bangladesh is still being used by insurgent groups to conduct terror activities in the region.
While addressing an event in memory of martyr policemen in Agartala on Sunday, Sarkar said though militancy in the state has dipped, yet it has not been eradicated.
“Militants have become weak and cornered. The people of Tripura have isolated them but not uprooted the menace completely. It is not true that they are totally inactive.”
“Presently they are very active, yes in comparison to earlier days their activities have come down. According to our information at present in Bangladesh there are still 20-22 militant camps of our state,” said Sarkar.
He highlighted that though Bangladesh has cooperated in curbing use of its soil for militancy-related activities, however more efforts are needed to eradicate it completely.
“However, the present government in Bangladesh is very active in not allowing the militants to use their soil for spreading terror in our country.”
“And by this they have tried to improve relations with India. But we have also noticed that during the last two years the Bangladesh government has taken few measures against the militants who are using their territory," said Sarkar.
Separatist movements have riddled India`s remote northeast for decades. Manipur is one of India`s most troubled regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- India needs $1.5 trillion for infrastructure development: Arun Jaitley
- IIFA 2016: Why should girls have all the fun? Ranveer-Fawad-Karan shoot up dapper quotient
- Salman Khan flaunting his biceps in new 'Sultan' still will leave you flabbergasted! - View pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Priyanka Chopra congratulates Sanjay Leela Bhansali for 'Best Director' award at IIFA 2016!
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Chris Gayle goes berserk as Portugal pip Croatia in Euro 2016