Intense chill continues in north India
New Delhi: Cold conditions on Friday prevailed in most parts of northern India with the mercury dipping to sub- zero level at several places in Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
Intense cold tightened its grip on Jammu and Kashmir with the state capital Srinagar recording a low of -2.7 degree Celsius as against yesterday`s -2.2 deg C.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg settled at a low of -14 deg C, while Pahalgam recorded minimum -8.4 deg C.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir, registered minimum minus 3.6 deg C as against yesterday`s -1.9 deg C.
The mercury plummeted by over four notches in Leh and Kargil in cold desert region of Ladakh, with the twin towns recording a low of -17.6 deg C and -15.0 deg C respectively.
Cold waves continued to sweep most places in Punjab and Haryana.
Amritsar recorded a low of 3.8 deg C, while it was minimum 8.4 deg C at Patiala.
In Haryana, Hisar recorded a low of 7.5 deg C, Karnal 6.2 deg C and Narnaul 6.6 deg C.
Chandigarh, the joint capital of the two neighbouring states, registered minimum 7 deg C.
Mercury continued its downward spiral in tribal areas of Himachal Pradesh with Keylong shivering at minimum -14.5 deg C, six points below normal.
Avalanche threat loomed large over tribal areas and people have been advised not to venture out for next two days and all schools have been closed till February 11.
Mercury hovered between -1.5 deg C and -0.6 deg C at the key tourist resort of Manali, bracing for winter carnival from tomorrow, and Bhuntar.
Thick ground frost occurred at several places in the hill state and vehicular traffic was affected due to slippery road conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends