Intense chill continues in north India
New Delhi: Cold conditions on Friday prevailed in most parts of northern India with the mercury dipping to sub- zero level at several places in Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
Intense cold tightened its grip on Jammu and Kashmir with the state capital Srinagar recording a low of -2.7 degree Celsius as against yesterday`s -2.2 deg C.
The famous ski resort of Gulmarg settled at a low of -14 deg C, while Pahalgam recorded minimum -8.4 deg C.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir, registered minimum minus 3.6 deg C as against yesterday`s -1.9 deg C.
The mercury plummeted by over four notches in Leh and Kargil in cold desert region of Ladakh, with the twin towns recording a low of -17.6 deg C and -15.0 deg C respectively.
Cold waves continued to sweep most places in Punjab and Haryana.
Amritsar recorded a low of 3.8 deg C, while it was minimum 8.4 deg C at Patiala.
In Haryana, Hisar recorded a low of 7.5 deg C, Karnal 6.2 deg C and Narnaul 6.6 deg C.
Chandigarh, the joint capital of the two neighbouring states, registered minimum 7 deg C.
Mercury continued its downward spiral in tribal areas of Himachal Pradesh with Keylong shivering at minimum -14.5 deg C, six points below normal.
Avalanche threat loomed large over tribal areas and people have been advised not to venture out for next two days and all schools have been closed till February 11.
Mercury hovered between -1.5 deg C and -0.6 deg C at the key tourist resort of Manali, bracing for winter carnival from tomorrow, and Bhuntar.
Thick ground frost occurred at several places in the hill state and vehicular traffic was affected due to slippery road conditions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged