Intense cold continues in North India, 29 killed in a day
New Delhi: The cold wave in north India claimed 29 more lives, taking the toll to 258 this winter, as icy winds swept across the region and dense fog affected movement of air, rail and road traffic on Sunday.
Twenty-seven people died overnight in Uttar Pradesh while two persons died in Jalandhar in Punjab, official
In Uttar Pradesh, the cold claimed six lives in Banda, as four deaths were reported from Jaunpur, three deaths each from Maharajganj and Mahoba, two each from Siddharth Nagar, Mirzapur, Faizabad and Muzaffarnagar and one each from Bareilly, Farukkhabad and Badaun, they said.
Meanwhile, after a marginal rise yesterday, temperatures dipped again at many places in the northern region with the low settling at 1.8 degree celsius in Amritsar and minus 1.2 degrees in Mount Abu.
In Punjab and Haryana, fog considerably reduced visibility at many places, including Chandigarh, Pathankot, Adampur, Halwara, Ambala and Sirsa, the Met office said.
Air traffic remained suspended and many trains in the two states were reported running late till up to eight hours.
The Met office said Chandigarh had a minimum temperature of 6.6 degree celsius, Ambala 5.5 degrees and Ludhiana 7.4 degrees.
In the national capital, the minimum temperature fell from yesterday`s 9 to 8 degrees while the maximum stood at 12.6 as against 12.1 degrees the previous day.
The Met office said Hamirpur, which recorded a low of 5.2 degrees, was the coldest place in Uttar Pradesh.
In Rajasthan, the hill station of Mount Abu was the coldest at minus 1.2 degrees followed by Sikar at two degrees.
It was 2.7 degrees in the Pink City and the mercury settled at a low of 2.7 degrees in Dholpur, 3.2 degrees in Bikaner and 4.4 degrees in Jaisalmer.
Many morning trains were delayed at Jaipur station, and roadways buses seen stranded on the highways connecting Jaipur-Delhi, Jaipur-Agra, Jaipur-Kota, Jaipur-Ajmer and Udaipur this morning.
Water froze in the supply pipelines in Sikar, Dholpur, Sawaimadhopur, Jaipur and Mount Abu.
In Himachal Pradesh, the mercury saw a marginal rise even as the higher reaches continued to remain in the grip of intense cold.
The Queen of the Hills experienced a sunny day, recording a night temperature of 5.1 degrees in comparison to yesterday`s 4.2 degrees, the Met office said.
Elsewhere in the state, Sundernagar had a minimum of 0.8 degrees while it was 0 degree in Bhuntar.
Keylong, the headquarters of Lahaul-Spiti, was the coldest place at a low of minus 11.9 degrees while it was minus 5.9 degrees in Kalpa in Kinnaur district.
In Jammu and Kashmir, Leh was the coldest in the state at a chilling minus 21.4 degrees, followed by Kargil at minus 17 degrees.
Srinagar had a low of minus 4.6 degrees and in Jammu, the minimum was 5.3 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly