Intense cold grips northern region; 12 more die
New Delhi: Eleven more people died in Uttar
Pradesh as the intense cold wave sweeping north India
maintained its firm grip over the region Thursday with Kargil
town in Jammu and Kashmir freezing at minus 16.4 degrees
The body of a middle-aged man was found in Reasi in
Jammu and Kashmir and officials said he died due to extreme
People in the national capital continued to shiver at
below normal temperatures with the weatherman predicting no
respite in the coming days. The maximum hovered around 14.5
deg C, a good six degrees below normal while the minimum
inched up to 5.3, a notch higher than yesterday`s 4.2 deg C.
With the fresh deaths, the toll due to cold conditions
in Uttar Pradesh has reached 58 this winter.
While four persons each died in Deoria and Barabanki
districts, two deaths were reported from Pratapgarh and one
from Jaunpur since yesterday, official sources said.
The state capital Lucknow, which witnessed a heavy fog
cover, recorded a minimum temperature of 4.8 degrees Celsius,
which was two degrees below normal and a maximum of 12 deg C,
11 notches below normal.
Agra was the coldest place in the state which recorded a
minimum of 0.6 deg C, six degrees below normal.
In Jammu and Kashmir, the minimum temperatures in Leh
and Kargil were recorded at minus 16.2 and minus 16.4 deg C
respectively, while Kashmir division continued to reel under
the intense cold wave, the Met office said.
The night temperature in the summer capital Srinagar
continued to stay two degrees below normal for this time of
the year, settling at minus 5.0 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir, was the coldest
place in the Valley, recording a minimum of minus 9.8 deg C.
Following the intense cold, parts of world famous Dal
Lake and other water bodies in the Valley remain frozen,
providing a rare experience for the tourists but bringing
hardships to the Dal dwellers.
The high altitude tribal areas in Himachal Pradesh
reeled under freezing cold conditions as minimum temperatures
dropped further, hitting normal life severely.
Keylong, the headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti district,
experienced the season`s coldest day with the mercury dipping
to minus 15 deg C. Other tribal areas recorded minimum
temperatures in the range of minus 18 and minus 25 deg C.
Surajtal and Chandratal lakes and 70-km stretch of
Chandrabhaga river, a tributary of Spiti, have completely
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey