‘Inter-caste offsprings can`t be deprived of quota
New Delhi: Off-springs of inter-caste
marriages cannot be denied the benefits of reservation on the
mere ground that one of the parent belonged to upper caste,
the Supreme Court has ruled.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai
passed the ruling upholding an appeal filed by Rameshbhai
Dabhai Naika challenging a Gujarat Government`s decision to
strip him of reservation benefits under ST quota as his father
belonged to the upper caste Kshatriya community.
"In an inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a
tribal and a non-tribal the determination of the caste of the
offspring is essentially a question of fact to be decided on
the basis of the facts adduced in each case.
"The determination of caste of a person born of an
inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a tribal and a
non-tribal cannot be determined in complete disregard of
attending facts of the case," Justice Alam writing the
The apex court said in an intercaste marriage or a
marriage between a tribal and a non-tribal there may be a
presumption that the child has the caste of the father.
"This presumption may be stronger in the case where in
the inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a tribal and a
non-tribal the husband belongs to a forward caste.
"But by no means the presumption is conclusive or
irrebuttable and it is open to the child of such marriage to
lead evidence to show that he/she was brought up by the mother
who belonged to the scheduled caste/scheduled tribe," the apex
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah