‘Inter-caste offsprings can`t be deprived of quota
New Delhi: Off-springs of inter-caste
marriages cannot be denied the benefits of reservation on the
mere ground that one of the parent belonged to upper caste,
the Supreme Court has ruled.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai
passed the ruling upholding an appeal filed by Rameshbhai
Dabhai Naika challenging a Gujarat Government`s decision to
strip him of reservation benefits under ST quota as his father
belonged to the upper caste Kshatriya community.
"In an inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a
tribal and a non-tribal the determination of the caste of the
offspring is essentially a question of fact to be decided on
the basis of the facts adduced in each case.
"The determination of caste of a person born of an
inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a tribal and a
non-tribal cannot be determined in complete disregard of
attending facts of the case," Justice Alam writing the
The apex court said in an intercaste marriage or a
marriage between a tribal and a non-tribal there may be a
presumption that the child has the caste of the father.
"This presumption may be stronger in the case where in
the inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a tribal and a
non-tribal the husband belongs to a forward caste.
"But by no means the presumption is conclusive or
irrebuttable and it is open to the child of such marriage to
lead evidence to show that he/she was brought up by the mother
who belonged to the scheduled caste/scheduled tribe," the apex
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?