Interceptor missile successfully test-fired
Bhubaneswar: India on Sunday successfully tested a ballistic missile interceptor from a defence base in Orissa as part of its endeavour to create a shield against incoming enemy missiles, an official said.
The indigenous interceptor `Ballistic Missile Defence System` was fired from Wheeler Island off the Orissa coast near Dhamra in Bhadrak district, about 170 km from here at 9.37 am.
It successfully destroyed an incoming ballistic missile - a variant of the Prithvi II - fired from the launch complex III of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur on sea in Balasore district, about 70 km away from Wheeler Island across the sea.
The interceptor was fired five minutes after the target missile was fired.
SP Dash, director of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, said the test was tracked by various radars and sensors. All weapon system elements, including command and control, communication and radar, performed satisfactorily, he said.
"It was a fantastic mission. It successfully hit the target. The interceptor intercepted the ballistic missile and blasted it into pieces," Dash said.
"It was a textbook launch and all the events and mission sequence took place as expected. It was a major milestone in the history of Ballistic Missile Defence Programme of the country," he said.
Defence Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar said the endo-atmospheric interceptor missile hit the target missile at an altitude of about 16 km. The test was witnessed by several scientists and defence officials.
Defence Minister AK Antony has congratulated the defence scientists involved in the project for Sunday`s success.
VK Saraswat, the scientific advisor to the defence minister, who was present during the launch operations, congratulated all the DRDO scientists and staff.
"It was a major milestone in the history of Ballistic Missile Defence Programme of the country," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference